CrossFit is a high-intensity sport that has managed to spread throughout the world. Although its initial objective was to prepare people with jobs of high physical demand, today it has adapted to all types of audiences. Do you know the benefits and dangers of CrossFit?
Although this type of training is quite attractive for those who want to lose weight, increase muscle mass and gain resistance, there are some disadvantages that should be considered before your practice. Next, we review it in detail.
What is Crossfit?
Before knowing the benefits and dangers of CrossFit it is important to remember what this sport discipline consists of.
It is a form of training based on constantly varied exercises, with functional movements that run in a certain time, which should not exceed 50 minutes.
The activities that are practiced include cardiovascular exercises, weightlifting and strength work; It also aims to explore different physical abilities and abilities of the person
However, it is necessary to have sufficient physical conditioning, flexibility, balance and muscular and respiratory resistance.
It also requires correct biomechanics of movement, since the poor execution of the exercises leads to injuries in the spine, joints and other parts of the body. So what are the benefits and dangers of CrossFit?
Benefits and dangers of CrossFit
Although CrossFit has gained millions of followers worldwide, its practice has been a subject of controversy. While many of its benefits have been supported by studies, the multiple cases of injuries and serious consequences have generated the idea that it can be dangerous.
The big problem is that many have decided to practice it without previously assessing their physical condition and health status. Some have even followed intense routines without the supervision of an expert coach. Let’s see in detail its benefits and risks.
Contrary to what many people think, CrossFit is not a type of training exclusively for high-performance athletes. In fact, it is currently being promoted and its practice is open to most people. Here are some of the best crosstraining shoes in 2020 which you can buy for your regular exercises.
However, it is necessary to know how to adapt it to the physical capacities of each one. In this sense, the training routine is not the same for a person in poor physical condition than for those who do regular sports or who are accustomed to intense exercise.
For this reason, it is essential to consult the doctor and evaluate the physical performance before starting to train with an exercise routine.
Considering the above, and respecting the biomechanics of movement involving each exercise, the crossfit interesting offers benefits such as:
- Increases cardiovascular and respiratory resistance.
- Increase physical endurance.
- Boost the ability to coordinate and balance.
- It improves mood and self-esteem.
- It helps to increase muscle mass.
- It helps to lose weight (it is considered a “fat-burning” sport).
- It promotes relationships, as it is often practiced in a group.
Dangers of CrossFit
As we have mentioned, CrossFit practice can be dangerous when precautionary measures are not taken. If the person does not first assess their current state of health or do strenuous routines without having sufficient physical resistance, they are exposed to:
- Injuries to muscles, ligaments, tendons and bones.
- Spinal injuries.
- Weakening and prolonged fatigue.
- Alterations in the cardiovascular system, such as increased blood pressure.
- Rhabdomyolysis, a disorder that involves the breakdown of muscle tissue. Producing the release of muscle fiber contents in the blood leads to problems such as kidney failure and arrhythmias.
Tips for practicing CrossFit
For the practice of CrossFit to be safe, it is necessary to follow some tips. First, it is essential to determine how the state of health is and if there are possible conditions. Do not ignore that intense exercise is discouraged in case of illness.
Now, apart from this, it is of great importance to consult with a coach specialized in this discipline. The professional can teach the exercises properly to reduce the risk of injury . Other recommendations are:
- Start with moderate routines, adapted to the physical condition.
- Increase the intensity of the exercises gradually.
- Take enough time to rest and recover.
- Ensure adequate hydration.
- Maintain a healthy and balanced diet.
- Do a warm-up and stretching exercises before routines.
Are you interested in practicing this sports discipline? Take into account its benefits and risks and evaluate if it is right for you. Also, don’t forget to get advice before you start.